We aspire to be recognised as one of the premier schools for talented young sportspeople. In our athlete friendly environment, students will be supported as they strive toward reaching both their academic and sporting ambitions.
Aims of High Performance Sports Academy
· Assist students to balance their sporting and academic studies in a supportive educational environment
· To promote a “high performance culture” for students focusing on sporting excellence and academic achievement
· To provide students with state of the art facilities, high performance coaching, research based training programs and structured support systems, including sports medicine, sports science, sports psychology and sport nutrition
· To provide diverse sporting and career pathways for students involved in the High Performance Sports Academy to meet their needs and develop their potential including elite sport pathways, US Colleges, Australian Tertiary options and sports industry placement
· Combining the academic hub of Coombabah SHS, sporting facilities at Runaway Bay Sports Super Centre, expertise of Griffith University and Runaway Bay Sport and Leadership Excellence Centre.
The Runaway Bay Sports Super Centre precinct is a sporting paradise.
The main centre consists of:
- Synthetic hockey field
- Weight-lifting pavilion
- Separate areas for throwing events
- Fully equipped 1000 metre square state of the art gymnasium
- 50 metre Olympic swimming pool and 20 metre indoor pool
- 350 seat restaurant
- Sports medicine, science and rehabilitation rooms
- Synthetic-surface and natural grass surface rugby field
- Two international standard beach-volleyball courts
The centre is located on the Runaway Bay sports precinct that includes:
- Netball courts
- Basketball stadium
- Football fields
- Rugby League fields
- Fully contained cycle circuit
- Cricket fields (synthetic and turf) and synthetic surfaced nets
The centre is a key part of the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games strategy and will continue to realise significant capital expenditure.
Benefits and Opportunities
- Flexible timetabling and curriculum utilising the latest technologies and mentoring support for travelling students
- Access to first class facilities and coaching
- Contact with elite sportspeople as role models and mentors
- Access to qualified physical preparation and rehabilitation staff and advanced conditioning equipment
- Support from sports science and sports medicine professionals including physiotherapists, sports psychologists and nutritionists
- Opportunities for work experience and career counselling within the sporting industry
- Range of post-compulsory studies available leading to employment and tertiary options
- Elite competition and training opportunities
- Affordability for parents
- Close proximity for all aspects of the education experience with access to the Academy bus for ease of transport
- Endorsed by state and national sporting bodies.
· Technical sports development, including skills, strategies and tactics in a
range of indoor and outdoor sports
· A comprehensive range of academic programs from Year 7 to 12
· Personal development and leadership curriculum
· Professional support services.
Athlete Development Program (ADP)
· Year 7-10: 220 minutes per week
· Year 11-12: 90 minutes compulsory ADP before or after school.
Athlete Development Program
· Curriculum based learning of the fundamental movement patterns required for strength and conditioning
· Develop the skills to be capable and proficient for operating in a high performance sporting environment
· Physically prepared at graduation for the demands of senior sport expectations
· The critical component of almost all sports is speed; we teach full movement skills to promote explosive power development
· Prehabilitation and rehabilitation programs and recovery activities
· Development of key sport components of strength, power, speed, agility, flexibility and aerobic speed
· Theory aspects of teamwork, communication, leadership, media skills and strategy
· Prehabilitation and rehabilitation programs and recovery activities.
Students entering the High Performance Sports Academy are required to exhibit strong academic performance, with a goal to undertake University study.
Our curriculum partnership with Mighty Minds Educational Consultants
· The implementation of an innovative curriculum in English, Mathematics and Humanities
· The program implements the Australian Curriculum in a sports themed structure
· The challenging and engaging Science program includes elements of Sports Science and Marine Science.
Our relationship with Gold Coast Universities
· Access to commence Bachelor level programs whilst still at high school
· Access to university staff for expert advice and input into a range of fields connected to the specialist sport curriculum including exercise physiology, biomechanics, exercise rehabilitation
· Joint research projects eg nutrition, longitudinal studies on sport, joint published research projects.
Bring your own device (BYOD)
· Students will be required to have a tablet (eg iPad) as set out in the Coombabah State High School BYOD program
· Devices will be used in a variety of learning situations in a technology rich environment.
Application forms addressing specific selection criteria in both academic and sport can be obtained from the High Performance Sports Academy Enrolment folder. Quicklink to enrolment folder on the top right hand side of this page.