Our vision at Coombabah State High School is:
A Community - 'Building Productive Partnerships and Pathways'.
To achieve our vision we believe that mutual respect built on positive relationships is the foundation for a safe, supportive and disciplined environment that is essential to effective learning.
This year Coombabah will continue with Tier 1, Positive Behaviour for Learning (PBL). This state-wide system assists schools to implement evidence based approaches to managing student behaviour and related complex support issues at the local community level including:
- capacity building of school staff to deal with behaviour issues within existing resource and skill base.
- competing values and changing community expectations that can mismatch with legislative and policy requirements.
- impact on staff productivity, absenteeism, illness and stress related issues.
- re-establishing the connection between learning, behaviour and engagement.
There are four interconnecting elements:
- supporting social competence and academic achievement
- supporting student behaviour
- supporting staff behaviour
- supporting decision making
The essential features of Tier I are:
- administrator support, participation and leadership,
- common purpose and approach to discipline,
- clear set of positive expectations for all students and staff,
- procedures for teaching expected behaviours,
- continuum of procedures for encouraging expected behaviours,
- continuum of procedures for discouraging inappropriate behaviours,
- procedures for ongoing monitoring and evaluating effectiveness of the PBL system.
The three rules/expectations that Coombabah have developed are:
- be safe,
- be respectful and responsible,
- be a productive learner.
The PBL Matrix (PDF, 39 KB) provides a statement of what these expectations mean in each of seven different settings. The matrix forms the basis of the explicit teaching that will continue this year.
RESPONSIBLE BEHAVIOUR PLAN FOR STUDENTS
The Coombabah State High School responsible Behaviour Plan for Students can be found under the Forms and Documents section or accessed by the link to the right.